A quinceanera is not just any birthday party. It’s usually a lavish affair where family and friends celebrate a young girl’s transition into womanhood. It’s a big part of Latin American cultures and there are many traditions observed during this special day in a young lady’s life.
Typical quinceanera traditions:
- The ceremony. The service is usually in church but non-Catholics can have it separate from a church service.
- The court of honor. Fourteen girls, or damas, and fourteen boys, or chambelans, support the birthday girl and play roles in church and during the celebration.
- The young lady’s first dance is usually with her father.
- The quinceanera gown is usually extravagant and colored white or pink. Nowadays, other colors are acceptable.
- The food reflects the family’s culture and includes a large cake.
- Aside from the first dance with the father, parents take off their daughter’s flats and change them to high heels to symbolize her entry into womanhood.
- The sponsors act as godparents and help pay for this special birthday celebration.
- The candle lighting is a moving ceremony where the birthday girl honors the important people in her life.
Changes To Traditional Quinceaneras
Quinceanera traditions make the affair special because they reflect a family’s culture. Nowadays, these traditions have been modified a little. Quinceanera dresses can be in any style and color and there are sometimes fewer damas and chambelans in the court of honor. The changes reflect our modern times, but there is one thing that will never change. The birthday girl is the start of the party and she should always look beautiful.
A quinceanera ushers the young lady to womanhood, so it’s fitting that she will use the professional services of an Orange County makeup artist and Orange County hair stylists. The talent and experience of these beauty experts will make the young birthday girl feel like a beautiful princess.
If you are looking for quinceanera beauty services in Orange County, Palm Desert, Riverside or Palm Springs areas, contact our professionals today at 760.989.3774!